Broke Momma Cooks Broccoli Cheese Soup




Broke Momma Cooks - Soup, and Lots of it!
                        INCLUDING A DARK RYE SOUP & SALAD CROUTON RECIPE


Soup is a fantastic way to say I love you. And home made soup? Forget about it ! I don't know about you, but I love soup and my family loves it even more, (of course, this is driven from the fact that I make it for them). Soup is such a broad spectrum of warm amenities and strange combinations- perfect for a sick baby or a warm tummy. I love soup, because regardless of how much money I have available, there is always something i can create from the ingredients i have left on hand. My favorite part of creating soup is taking out of the box ideas like a cheeseburger, meat pie, and other delicious things my family adores and turning that into a warm bowl of love.


Soup is a food that can stand on it's own as a whole meal for lunch or dinner, and the leftovers are always great. For hearty soups or stews I usually serve on a bed of rice, or with fresh bread to dip. For light soups like clam chowder or broccoli cheese, i have a side salad available with home made croutons and light dressing. 

This is just one of those things. I had four days left until another pay day, three meals to magically make appear, and only nine dollars to my name. Naturally, being the dinner savior that I am, I was able to find three dollars in quarters, a value supermarket and a crafty meal plan. “We can make it work,” I thought- and we did! 

Broccoli cheese soup has been one of my favorites since I was old enough to comprehend taste buds. Instinctively with a sick husband, a mandatory night in, and date with Netflix- soup seemed like the only reasonable option. Actually quite painless to make, this soup starts with a basic roux- tossing broccoli into your bubbling sauce and then molesting with cheese.  Let’s see if you can pull it off. 

Due to lack of funds, I practically threw every ounce of open cheese into this soup, and it turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. You can use whatever style of cheese you have on hand, as long as it is not artificial. I try to stay away from processed cheese, also, just because I don’t think I could walk around the block enough times in one night to burn off “processed-cheese-calories”, but hey- if that’s what is in your cupboard, go for it! 


Busted Broccoli Cheese Soup  ♥♥♥♥.5

INGREDIENTS


1 Stick Margarine
1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
3 Cups Milk
1 Cup Sour Cream
1 Cup Water
2 Large Florets of Broccoli, Chopped
¼ Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
¼ Teaspoon Ground Coriander
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
8 Slices American Cheese
½ Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
½ Cup Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese

Crackers to Garnish

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot, add butter and heat to medium-high heat. When butter has completely melted, add flour in small doses. Whisk butter into flour as you pour until mixture is thick and bubbly. Begin adding milk. Start by adding one cup at a time as you whisk vigorously. Add remaining milk, sour cream and water and whisk for about 3 minutes until mixture becomes thick. Reduce heat to medium. Cut broccoli into small chunks, including stem. Add broccoli to milk mixture and stir. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground coriander and cumin. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for 30 minutes or until broccoli has softened but not become mush. Add cheese slices, one at a time, quartered. Stir and add shredded mozzarella cheese. When American and mozzarella cheese has melted add shredded Mexican blend. Stir and cover until ready to serve. 


(About 6 Servings)







Take a look at my other published soup recipes inlcuding Fat City Potato ChowderRotini Meatball Soup , & Best Ever Chunky Chili : A Mildly Spicy Edition .


All Recipes By ©Amorie Keys- Honey I'm Home, 2013 & Broke Momma Cooks, 2014. Photo Credit - Broccoli Cheese Soup ©www.gaiahealthblog.com, ©www.givemesomoven.com, Chicken Pot Pie Soup ©www.cookinglight.com, ©www.foodrepublic.com, Potato Bacon Soup ©www.homesicktexan.com, ©iamafoodblog.com.

Comments

Popular Posts