Crock Pot Corned Beef, Cabbage & Potatoes

Maybe it's the Irish in me, but I am always a sucker for a good corned beef. Corned beef hash, corned beef and cabbage, shredded corned beef sandwiches, and of course- my favorite, the Reuben!

With every St. Patrick's day, we get to indulge in some of the more traditional Irish flavors that we may not get to enjoy so often. If you live up North or in a highly European-populated area then you may be exposed to this more frequently, but for those of us down south- run by taco trucks and Island-inspired foods, this is a real treat. I walked the entire Daytona strip this year looking for a good corned beef expecting it to be served at every bar and restaurant around town on St. Patties day. I was sadly mistaken. Although this holiday is long gone and another great hangover has surpassed us, I felt that I just couldn't get through the month of March without having some good old fashioned corned beef and cabbage. 

As it turns out, we ended up at a seafood joint on the coast that had (some) sort of corned beef. However it was a skimpy and sad portion of corned beef with a side of potatoes and carrots, going for $27 a plate. For me that just wont fly. I ordered the closest thing to my craving; a fresh fish Reuben. Not half bad if you ask me, but just not the corned beef that I needed. Thanks to Florida being mostly filled with snow birds, college kids celebrating spring break and of course the infamous BIKE WEEK, we were sadly disappointed to find almost all bars and restaurants closed down for the 'after Bike Week' R&R.

Although it was a sad day for the Irish in Florida, I realized that inevitably I would be venturing home and getting out my extra large crock pot. Well, I guess that may have been a mistake, because my husband and I devoured more than half of this in one night, with the small exception of a one-leftover-a-piece treat for us the following day! I threw red skin potatoes at it, an entire head of green cabbage, a bag of baby carrots that I found in the refrigerator. I can't tell if we are painfully Irish, or it was just that good. I'm going to go with 'a little of both'. Needless to say, it was an incredible dinner and I will be from now on needing this more than once a year in my life.  


Crock Pot Corned Beef, Cabbage & Potatoes

1 (4 pound) Corned Beef Brisket
2 Cups Filtered Water
-Seasoning Packet-
10 Medium Red Skin Potatoes
1 Large Head Green Cabbage
1 Teaspoon Whole Coriander
1 Teaspoon Dried Caraway Seeds
1 Bag Baby Carrots

In a large crock pot, add entire corned beef brisket, fat side down and heat to high high. Add filtered water, seasoning packet and cover. Let cook until color begins to brown (about an hour). Wash and slice potatoes into large cubes. Add to warm crock pot. Let cook about one hour, covered. Stir and add half a head of cabbage, chopped into large cubes. Season crock pot with whole coriander and dried caraway seeds. Cover and let cook for one hour. Corned beef brisket should take about 4 1/2-5 1/2 hours total to cook at this size, but can be eaten at a safe 165 degrees F, internal temperature. Save remaining cabbage to add 45 minutes before serving. When corned beef has cooked to desired tenderness, remove potatoes, vegetables and brisket into a deep casserole or serving dish. Discard most or all juice.  Using a meats-slicing knife, slice corned beef into slender slices and serve warm with a heaping helping of carrots, potatoes and soft and crunchy cabbage. Add additional black pepper to taste.

(About 8 Servings)





Note.
This is simply one way to make a corned beef. Naturally, you could bake this in the oven or even grill it, but i like to slow cook meats in the crock pot so this is the method I chose. You may add any more or less of all ingredients based on preference. Add a white onion, use yellow potatoes in place of red skin, use TWO heads of cabbage if you love it! This is what I had on hand, and in great Irish fashion- I used what I had on hand. Enjoy. 
Amorie





⇨ Don't Forget to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter. Click the links below to follow more Holiday-Inspired Recipes and Corned Beef Blogs!
Blog, Recipe & Photos Copyright ©Amorie Keys, 2015 . (©Honey, I'm Home, & ©Leftover Legacies, ©Humbly Homemade, ©Broke Momma Cooks). All Photos and recipes are subject to copyright. Follow Honey, I'm Home on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts